Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can I use regular 30 weight oil in my chain saw bar or should I use regular bar and chain oil?

Bar oil is simply a higher viscosity than thirty weight motor oil. If you want to use thirty weight the automatic oiler on your saw is adjustable and you will need to use a little more. There are plenty of professionals who don't buy expensive bar oil. Can I use regular 30 weight oil in my chain saw bar or should I use regular bar and chain oil?
I prefer motor oil to ';bar oil';. I have always used 30 weight or 10W30 weight oil in my saws. My current saw is 5 years old, has gotten heavy use, and has no wear to the blades or the original bar.


When the first small chainsaws came out they had manual oilers that you had to pump with your thumb while cutting. I talked to a factory rep at that time who said that if you could use 2 tanks of oil for each tank of gas that would be best to oil the bar and blade, and help keep the bar clean. The recommendation then was for motor oil.


I have found that 2 things are critical to preventing wear to the bar and chain. The first is that the bar is getting oil. The oiler can get clogged with sawdust in some situations so that oil does not get to the bar and chain. The second is keeping sand out of the bar. This wears a bar out quick.


I think the price of bar oil is a scam, to sell oil at a high price to people who do not know any better. Can I use regular 30 weight oil in my chain saw bar or should I use regular bar and chain oil?
I've seen homeowners use recycled motor oil as their bar oil. Professionals scoff at this, because this kind of oil doesn't stick very long to the bar, so the chain and bar wears out faster.





You yes, you could use it, but it's not ideal by any means.
Bar %26amp; chain oil is manufactured to stick to the chain and the space between it and the bar. I use 30w most of the time but the chain throws some off the front.
Yes,I do with mine and works great.
  • theatre tickets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment