Thursday, January 7, 2010

Should I change the weight of oil I use at 100K miles?

I drive a 2000 Ford Ranger with the 4.0L pushrod engine. It currently has 110,000 miles on it. The owners manual states that 5W30 oil should be used. The reason the auto makers are switching to thinner oils like 5W30, 5W20, etc is because the engine tolerances are much tighter on newer vehicles. My truck still runs great, but engines with 110,000 miles are generally starting to get a little worn. Should I switch to 10W30 or even 10W40 to get the maximum lubrication on my older engine? Or is 5W30 still thick enough?Should I change the weight of oil I use at 100K miles?
use 10w30Should I change the weight of oil I use at 100K miles?
Why don't you ask people who work with these things everyday? They can tell you in a minute what type to use. Ask where you go to buy the oil.
Castrol do an oil specifically for engines with over 75,000 miles on the clock.
Slick 50 saved the engine in my Suburban ! I went for an oil change, and somehow, no oil was replaced in my engine. It was the only time I ever tried Slick 50, and it worked ! (I was told that the oil comes in barrels, and when they're empty, it's possible that the guys in back ';forgot to replace them with full barrels.'; Try SLICK 50 !!! Thank God, they at least got THAT in my engine ! )
The ONLY reason manufacturers recommend 5W30 is because they are required to; due to the fact that they run the light oil in the engine for the EPA mileage test.


Run Shell Rotella-T, 15W40 unless you're in a really cold climate. It has better lubricity than synthetics. Hot Rod magazine did a multi-page article about oils, particularly as they relate to camshaft wear, a few months back. Basically car oil is getting worse, due to emission requirements on new cars, diesel oil is still carrying the max amount of what provides lubrication, which is what all, especially used %26amp; older, cars need.
use what the manufacture says to use 5w30.. At 200K might change to 10w30 but that all depands how it sounds when it is running...
that's not to many miles. as long as the engine has not been abused the tolerances are still tight. i would continue to use the same oil you have been. I have a 92 ranger with 4.0 and over 250,000 miles on it. good luck
10W30
10w40 should be fine. A littler thicker as your motor is probably wearing down and having leaks you probably can't see. It helps against burning oil due to leaks and ring issues.
10w40 should be fine. A littler thicker as your motor is probably wearing down and having leaks you probably can't see. It helps against burning oil due to leaks and ring issues.
the 5w indicates the oil's viscosity recommendation for cold temperatures.Changing to a 10w 30 will make no difference unless you live in an arctic climate.If you are using a bit more oil between changes,you could benefit from using a heaver grade like 10w40. See the link for all your questions regarding engine oils.


http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible鈥?/a>
I would use the same weight, but add a product called 'Lucas' to your oil. I have been using it for years on high-mileage vehicles, and it makes a huge difference.





They make an additive for your transmission fluid as well that I highly reccomend.
  • theatre tickets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment