Saturday, December 26, 2009

Should I use normal 30 weight automotive oil in my new lawn mower?

I just purchased a new Toro walk-behind mower with a Briggs %26amp; Stratton engine. It calls for 30 weight oil in the owner's manual. Should I just buy that viscosity of oil from the car oil shelf (right next to the 10w-30s, for example), or get one intended for small engines?Should I use normal 30 weight automotive oil in my new lawn mower?
I just purchased a new Toro walk-behind also. The manual I have says you can use 10w-30 but if the ambient air gets up in the 90's you will have to add oil more often.





It recommends straight 30W oil which you can get at many hardware stores and automotive centers. The manual also gives you the service designations that are acceptable such as SF, SG, SH, and SJ.Should I use normal 30 weight automotive oil in my new lawn mower?
Use straight 30W oil, which is not normally used in car engines, you need to get this from a garden machinery supplier. In the short term you would do no damage with the other oil, but in the longer run it really doesn't pay to interpret the manufacturer's guidelines loosely where oil is concerned.
when the manual calls for 30 weight you do not use a dual viscosity oil such as 10w30 etc...You use sae 30 weight and make sure to use NON DETERGENT.. not hd which is high detergent..just STANDARD SAE 30 WEIGHT...Yes it is the regular 30 weight in the automotive section
when i change my mowers oil it gets the best castrol 15/30


and i hve never had one stop on me, through oil problems
i just use regular 30 wt. and have never had any mower problems...
probably just fine use the newest type oil available ...sf ,se,....etc

No comments:

Post a Comment