Saturday, December 26, 2009

What weight oil should i use in my MF35 tractor? (3 cyl. perkins diesel) i live in florida where its hot?

I also know about being HOT here in Birmingham AL! There are several oils which you can use in the tractor. I would definitely use an oil designed for use in Diesel engines such as Rotella by Shell or Delo by Chevron. For standard motor oils, either one should do the trick and hold up in the tractor without premature oil breakdown and failure. As for me, I use a different oil in my tractor and commercial maintenance equipment. I feel that the best oil available and the tests I have seen prove it is a synthetic oil named Royal Purple. This stuff is unbelievable - a little expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I purchase it in the gallon jugs or 5-gallon pail when available. Sometimes the gallons are cheaper, sometimes the 5-gallon jugs. The oil also comes in quarts. Royal Purple produces several different blends of synthetic oil for different applications. They do have the oil designed for the high temperature operation of diesels. I use Royal Purple 40 weight but you can us 15W-40. The 15W part is useless here in the south but most people do not understand about the first number and its purpose or thinner viscosity in cold ';Winter'; weather. Either oil you use, 40 weight or 15W-40, will work equally well. If your tractor has over 500 hours on it, (if it were mine) I would use a full synthetic such as Royal Purple or equivolent. If the tractor has less than 500 hours on it, I would use the Rotella or Delo 40 weight oil. Even though synthetics claim that their change interval is increased or prolonged, I change my oil at the recommended intervals. The extra expense for the synthetics for the ';broken in'; engine is worth it in my opinion. I know for a fact that on some of my small equipment used in commercial service, some of the machines should have blown up, rather thrown a rod or valve, many hours ago but they keep running. Some of the mowers run like a top and smoke a little and also have no power - they are just worn out but they still run. I can only attribute that to using Royal Purple in them. To date, I have not had any equipment using the Royal Purple synthetics just ';come apart';, they all have just been retired or replaced with new motors. As for my tractor, it uses a pint of oil like clockwork every hour and has for about 10 years now but runs like a top! I am quite confident that its due to regular oil change intervals and quality oil. Oh, also make sure that the air filter and fuel filters are replaced regularly. I replace my fuel filter at each oil change. Running a diesel lean or starved for fuel can cause it to overheat quickly. It is not uncommon to get some cruddy diesel fuel with gunk in it. If the fuel sits in a fuel can very long, diesel can actually grow algae etc. in it. Changing out the fuel filter should resolve most fuel issues. I hope the above helps. I have found the Royal Purple at local NAPA stores here in Birmingham.What weight oil should i use in my MF35 tractor? (3 cyl. perkins diesel) i live in florida where its hot?
You should ask at your local farm %26amp; fleet store where you buy your tractor parts. My husband thinks he's been using 10W-40 all purpose motor oil up here in central MN (we do not run these tractors in winter) in two WWII vintage Allis Chalmers tractors (regular gas).
  • vincent
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment