Saturday, December 26, 2009

Should I switch to a heavier weight oil when I am out in vegas?

my honda van takes a 5 30, but it will be 110 degrees and I drive on the highway for hundreds of miles straight. I heard modern day cars are supposed to use what is recomended because the tolerences are tighter.Should I switch to a heavier weight oil when I am out in vegas?
Do not change to heavier oil just as you heard is exactly correct. I run a very large Auto group in the south keep using 5-30 a heavier oil will give u poorer fuel economy and may provide less lubrication. Most engines run between 180-220 degrees the ambient temp of 110 will not affect the oil as the engine normally runs twice that temp already.Should I switch to a heavier weight oil when I am out in vegas?
Heavier weight would make the problem worse. The tight tolerances mean it takes less viscous (lighter) oil to properly lubricate the bearings.





Just stay with what you have - should be 5W-30, although a few Hondas specify 5W-20. I lived in Phoenix for 25 years and saw a lot of 110+ days - I was married during a 21 day stretch of highs over 110 - and just used the recommended oil. In fact, the engine temperature should be pretty much the same at 110 as at 40 degrees - that is what the thermostat and cooling system do for the engine.





Some advice from a desert rat, though - always carry at least a gallon of water per person when on the desert highways in the summer. Don't leave the main road to look at something in the desert. For long trips, where you may be out of cell phone range, make sure somebody knows where you are going, when you should arrive, and that you will call them when you get there. Never ever leave your disabled car to walk to the gas station you see ahead. The rule of threes in the desert - CSI always leaves out the important part, although it is set in the desert - you can survive three weeks without food, three days without water and three hours without shade.
well i live in vegas i run 10w40 really it is best you stick with what weight that is recommended but really 10w30 wouldnt hurt it any at all and when your car gets more miles and you see that you have to add oil between oil changes going up a good thing

No comments:

Post a Comment