Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What weight oil can I use in my primary chain case?

I have an 81 sportster and just got some oil from dealership that is $9 a court. it does not give the weight on the bottle does anybody know what the weight is? I spilled some of it and need more now I hate to spend the extra if not necessary.What weight oil can I use in my primary chain case?
I have been a biker for 37 years, and owned plenty of sportsters, had one in Germany where the closest dealer was 300 miles away, one day after riding to get ';Harley oil'; I felt heat coming from the oil tank, hot day in traffic, opened the tank cap and my expensive oil was foaming like an ice cream float, a brother biker turned me on to Valvoline 50 wt racing, and there is no other oil for an older sporty, never foamed, stayed cooler, and much cheaper.What weight oil can I use in my primary chain case?
When your bike was built HD suggested to run the same oil as the motor. However it is beat to use some ';sport trans fluid'; or similar. (these were not available in 81, but makes shifting easier esp. in cold weather They are made by several companies Ultma, Motor factory, Bardahl, Rev Tech, Bel Ray and others)These oils are specifically for the primary/trans on Sportsters. Most companies making a specific V twin oil also make a Sportster trans oil. (this differs from Primary Case oil that is formulated for big twins)
There was this one old guy that used automatic transmission fluid. I wouldn't recommend mixing HD Formula Plus with ATF, but if you bought HD Formula Plus then I would recommend a non-synthetic 20w-50 as a cheap addition.





Bottom line, you need to put in more of what you've already got. Mixing stuff is never a good idea.
I can try using FORD TYPE ';F'; automatic transmission fluid. YES; I said automatic fluid.


It has excellent lubricating and heat transfer properties. There are two types - use the one without Dextron. And don't use GM tranny fluid - it's too thin to use in this application.
Go to your dealer and tell him you want primary oil for an 81 Sporty. case closed.
  • vincent
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment